Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Japan in the "news"

I have begun to come to terms with the fact that my blog is not going to be a chronological masterpiece, so in the interest of offering my readers the most complete account of my time here, be prepared for more pieces like this in the future (short, random, and completely out of order)

Today I went to Torikai Elementary School. Its a nice school, but the best part in my opinion is that none of my days there have started before second period, allowing me an extra 45 minutes of sleep/lazing around in my warm bed. Since I arrive later, I have to stay and teach after lunch which gives me about an hour in the teacher's room after I eat with the kids (always a mixed bag...school lunch and the student's manners can be pretty gross.) Today I was reading the book I brought along with me, but I guess the vice principal thought I looked bored, because he came over and turned on the computer and opened up the internet for me. I decided to catch up on some news from home, and in addition to seeing that CA is up in flames, I came across this article in the New York Times, which has to be one of my favorite papers.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/20/world/asia/20japan.html?em&ex=1193284800&en=c00a0ae69a912362&ei=5087%0A

Take a minute to read it...the article is short, and the accompanying slide show is priceless. I thought the article had a lot of interesting commentary about Japanese society. When I read the article at school, I was trying hard not to smirk less someone see me and want to know what I was reading, but now in the privacy of my own home I can grin all I want to. Thinking about it, dressing up like a vending machine is one of the most preposterous crime prevention tactics out there. Creative, fits nicely with Japanese societal ideas, and even comes from old samurai practices (of course!) but it would nearly impossible to make a quick get-away or defend yourself in a shroud of fabric. In the slide show, the "fire-hydrant" wearing jeans is almost more conspicuous than the child itself. And I am dying to see the man-hole purse in action...what do you do? Just throw it down when you feel threatened and hope that your attacker doesn't notice the new, extra lumpy manhole on the street?

I know these are conceptual ideas, but you have to love Japan for supporting them. Now, the vending machine skirt as a Halloween costume...ingenious. Too bad I don't think I could have one ready in time for the party on Friday.

No comments: