Monday, June 9, 2008

Case of the Mondays

My alarm didn't go off this morning.

I got stuck behind slow old ladies at both the train ticket machine and the grocery store, making me almost late for two trains.

I bought the wrong ticket, then thought I lost it in transit.

I have blister on the bottom of my right big toe from playing a rather sweaty, thirty minute game of soccer with the 5th graders today.

Discovered a complete lack of decent snacks in my apartment.

Thankfully, none of these things are really the end of the world. I made both trains, playing soccer was a lot of fun, and I have to go to the grocery store later anyway if I plan on eating anything for dinner.

Speaking of food...I found this in one of the annoying free magazines that get shoved into my mailbox:

Of course the Japanese have the perfect (albeit inverted) food pyramid. For a while I have been saying that the USDA food pyramid should have a moat around it symbolizing all the water you are supposed to drink. Not only have the Japanese added a large glass of water on top, they have also incorporated the exercise component of a heathly lifestyle with a running person on top of their "Nutrition Cone" (which you may notice has no "Oils/Fats/Sweets" section...sneaky). I am not sure a country with so much soft cream and caffinated small children should be allowed to exclude that section on the food pyramid, but then again, Japan is all about appearances.

No comments: