Friday, April 18, 2008

Catching Up

I guess it’s been a while. I don’t can’t remember the last time I updated (graduation sounds about right.) Since I am sitting in the office all alone due to a glitch in the scheduling, I have no internet access that would allow me to check. But I do have seven hours stuck in the same desk without any other pressing business. As soon as I wrote that, I was informed of the office-wide gardening hour! My supervisor told me I didn’t have to participate, and frankly I wasn’t dressed for it, but why sit inside breathing a bunch of recycled air, when I could be outside, up to my elbows in scratchy plants? I couldn’t think of a good reason either. Too bad I didn’t have my camera to capture the ultimate in Japanese office cooperation.

“Spring” is a busy time in Japan. One school year ends, and rather shortly there after, the next one begins. The cherry trees bloom in full force, and there is a frenzy of parties before the blossoms fade a mere week or so after they appear. While many people organize their own parties with a small group of friends, there are some larger ones too, like the one in the park behind my apartment which involved a loud speaker, karaoke and a raffle at some un-godly hour on a Sunday morning. Now, all of the leaves on the cherry trees have come out, obliterating the last few flowers and students are back in school, so the quasi-relaxed state the cherry blossoms inspired has come to an end.

No comments: